Thursday, January 7, 2010

About the Blog/FAQ

Here's some information about this blog, in the format of a FAQ. Given that I'm writing this before putting up any content, none of these questions have actually been asked, so I guess it's more of a preemptive strike sort of FAQ.

Why did you start this blog?

This blog was borne primarily out of a dissatisfaction with most of the liquor review sites that I've seen (exceptions to this are listed on the right-hand side of the main page, and I'll be glad to add more as I come across them!). But also, it's borne out of a love for giving unsolicited opinions, and a desire to write about something other than the science experiments that I do for my day job.


What content should I expect to see on the site?

Well, as you might have guessed from the title of the blog, reviews of various liquors/liqueurs, and probably the occasional cocktail recipe or other feature. Don't expect much in the way of wine or beer - I don't know the first thing about wine, and there are plenty of other good resources for beer reviews, links for a couple of which are given on the right-hand side of the main page.


How does your rating scale work?

All spirits are given two ratings, both out of twenty. One rating is for overall quality - this is essentially just a metric for how much I like the drink. A 19 or 20 is exceptional, a 14 is about average, and below 10 is fairly dismal. I'll also rate each spirit for its value - because I'll be rating things from vastly different price ranges, this will help even things out, and give you an estimate of the bang for the buck. This is based on the price that I indicate for the drink - this will vary, of course, based on the retailer and location, so I'll shoot to make it a roughly average price. Note that ratings will probably skew a bit high, at least at first. I'm mostly rating liquors from my personal stash, and if I buy something, it's generally with the intention of liking it.


Do you accept submissions for review?

Absolutely. Please direct your inquiries to theliquorreviewer@gmail.com. Note that all reviews of products that were obtained as a free sample will be disclosed as such in the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment